Dracaena Marginata propogation

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by PalominoBlackwing, Aug 30, 2017.

1. PalominoBlackwing

PalominoBlackwing New Member

every time I propagate my dragon tree, the cuttings just wilt and die, what am I doing wrong? I just cut it off, put root hormone on it and put it in dirt and water it but they all end up looking like the got the life sucked out of them and turn mushy

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know what you are doing wrong, because I've done it the same way; and it has worked each time. It might have something to do with the timing or the differences in weather between Vancouver and Arizona. I move my potted Dracaena outdoors in late Spring and bring it inside in the fall when temperatures have dropped substantially. I cut the top off and plant it in the same pot with fresh soil just before bringing the pot inside. Perhaps the change in temperature helps to trigger root formation. I know that bottom heat is helpful for rooting some types of cuttings; so it could have an effect here.

3. PalominoBlackwing

It gets to about 108 here on a normal day, would it be a good idea to leave it out st night in 90° temperature or leave it inside where it's 80 degrees?

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Do you have the pot in the sun? It would do better being in the shade until it has roots. I would also do a shorter stem, leaves just above the soil and only about 4 inches above ground, about the same below. And the soil looks dry, yet you say the stems go mushy, which might indicate too much water.
    You would need to not let it totally dry out, but not worry too much if the leaves look terrible. The plant could still sprout new growth from new roots or from the stem as long as the stem is still alive.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is so hot and dry in Arizona. Even indoor environments are often very dry there. I think if I were propagating any sort of cutting there, I would probably keep them under some sort of cover to make a humid environment for them while they are rooting.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Apparently dracaenas prefer lower temperatures than 108F:
    • UF > IFAS > MREC > Apopka - Dracaena Production Guide

7. PalominoBlackwing

Yeah I know , I only keep them inside

Usually the stem dries out at the top where the leaves are

I have an oil diffuzer and it works as a humidifier

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
  8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Palomino, I know that even in Arizona, it's a lot cooler than 108 degrees during the winter. Have you tried propagating your Dracaenas at that time of year?

9. PalominoBlackwing

I haven't, I only have one shoot now and I don't wanna mess it up