Raspberries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Uisdean, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

A number of years ago I purchased some "Tulameen" raspberry plants and planted them in two raised beds. They produced extremely well for many years, but are now producing few healthy new canes. I remember Dr. Hugh Daubeny mentioning that raspberry plants should not be planted where others were previously grown. However, I now wish to replant, but do not have any option other than planting them in the same beds. Is it acceptable to replant in the same beds if I remove the older plants, roots and all the soil and fill the raised beds with new soil?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, if it's your only option, then it is the best option. It should remove most disease accumulation.

3. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

Thank you!

4. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

Hello, a few more questions. Prior to refilling the beds with soil would you recommend the application of any fungicide or something similar to remove any disease accumulation?
    If so, what would you recommend?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, I wouldn't recommend chemical treatment as a measure to deal with a problem that may not exist--particularly around food plants.

6. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

Thank you very much. I appreciate your advice!