Black spots on peppermint plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by shirel, Jun 16, 2017.

1. shirel

shirel New Member

i'm having trouble with my indoor peppermint plant. it has some dark black spots on it. I thought it was spider mites for a while but i used a magnifying glass to check and didn't see any. also i read that peppermint is a natural deterant to spiders. could this be blight and if so how do i get rid of it? i've transplanted the plant into a larger pot with a compost mix for vegetables and herbs. also am looking into buying a humidifier for the apartment. the plant shares the pot with some oregano. any suggestions?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If the dark black spots are fungal, a humidifier will be detrimental, I would think. Can you post a photograph?

3. shirel

shirel New Member

I'm not very technologicaly savy

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. shirel

shirel New Member

Thank you. I don't think it's spider mites. and the disease doesn't seem to have spread to my other plants so i'm not worried about it being contagious or anything. it might be the salt. I'll try flushing the soil a few times.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Are you sure about the tech savy thing? You've figured out forum posting perfectly. If you can take a photo and get it to your computer, have a look at
    Attach photos and files

7. shirel

shirel New Member

I'll try it might take some time but i'll give it a go.

8. shirel

shirel New Member

I tried to take a photo of the plant but my camera quality is so low that the photo is unreadable. Also i've decided to toss the plant in the ravine. It was given to me by a friend who dug it up from their fathers garden and i've now discovered it has worms. I am budhist and am therefore concerned for the wellfare of the worms and have decided to toss the plant out so that they can survive. On a positive note i do think i solved the problem of the black spots. i think it was too much salt in the soil. I had flushed the soil out a few times and noticed small white rocks on the top of the soil that i picked out and the plant did a lot better. Now i know for the future. In the meantime i'm off to buy a mint plant from a greenhouse. guaranteed not to have worms. thanks for all your help. shirel