Image size problem?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by wcutler, Apr 16, 2017.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is an image Laura cannot upload.
    Right - can't do it. 4.7 mb
    upload_2017-4-16_23-21-38.png
    It's 5184x3888 pixels.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. wcutler

What about one of my own photos? This is 4.78mb. Why does this one work?
    20170414_140651.jpg

3. wcutler

Trying one that is 6.96mb, 4896x3672 pixels. It works fine.
    20170420_UBCBG_StaphyleaHolocarpaVarRosea_Cutler_1280981.JPG

4. wcutler

OK, got it. My file is larger, at 6.96mb, but is 4896x3672 pixels, 17,978K pixels, so 18 megapixels, within the 20 megapixel limit, and the problem photos were more than 20 megapixels.

I got the 20 megapixel limit from the xenForo FAQ somewhere, but I don't understand it. It says:
    If the resized image is below the maximum file size (KB) limit, then it will be allowed." ​
    These files all seem to be below the maximum file size (KB) permitted. Back to the FAQ:
    7. Why can I upload an image, even though it is larger than the maximum file size (KB) permitted?
    Uploaded files are first resized based on the maximum physical dimensions (pixels) set in the ACP -> Options -> Attachments: Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions. If the resized image is below the maximum file size (KB) limit, then it will be allowed.
    Note that with XenForo 1.2 and above, by default, images of 20 megapixels and over will not be resized; this is to prevent fatal errors due to running out of memory. If the Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions combined total (width x height) is set lower than this limit, images greater than 20 megapixels, or with a dimension larger than that permitted, will be rejected with an error stating The uploaded image is too big. If the Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions combined total (width x height) is set to 0 or greater than 20 megapixels, the image will appear as an attachment without a thumbnail. The 20 megapixels limit can be changed using a config.php switch; refer to this section of the XenForo Manual.​

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. wcutler

Michael says the filesize maximum comes up when you upload a file.
    file size.JPG
    I do not see that, and can't find where to see it. I've clicked all those buttons at the top. Not seeing it. I click Upload a File, and my file system opens for me to select a file.

6. wcutler

I don't have to click any Browse button. What if I go to More Options ...?
    No, that's the same, just opens the last folder I was in for me to select files.
    I'm using Chrome on Win 10.

7. wcutler

I'm usually on Win 10, Chrome. Right now am checking this on Firefox; it works the same for me as on Chrome. Upload a File bypasses the Browse button.
    Man, I love how I started typing this in Firefox, am now finishing it in the Edge browser and the text I entered in Firefox is here. I still go straight to the file system, do not get the Browse button with the file size info.
    After 10,000 or so photos uploaded, does it not show you that info any more?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  8. wcutler

The info on the Browse box gives the maximum as 1500x1200, which is 1.8 megapixels. Hmm, this is confusing. This is clearly not the actual limit for us.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

These are the attachment settings. It is entirely possible moderators / admin are not subject to the settings.

Attached Files:

10. wcutler

Thank you!
    I am subject to the limit on number of photos per posting, and I was unable to upload the files that were giving others a problem.
    So maybe it means that if the files are under the maximum filesize, and under 20 megapixels (a constraint not really stated anywhere except in the FAQ), they will be resized to a maximum of 1500x1200, 1.8 megapixels.

11. wcutler

And that screen print is from an administrator options menu, where you set the maximum file size? Other than the info that comes up for Michael but not for me when uploading a file, there isn't anywhere for users to check that?

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would have to check the whole chain of limiters:

1) the processing language on the web server that does the conversions has limits that are set
    2) _maybe_ the web server itself has defined limits

Unfortunately, for 1 & 2 these are things I only look at when things are really broken, so it ends up taking me up to a couple hours to figure out where they are

After that, then I need to look at Xenforo settings:

3) the overall blanket settings
    4) any overrides based on user group (if such things exist -- didn't see it when I looked briefly this morning)
    5) and research as to whether Xenforo Gallery media settings differ or adjust it

13. wcutler

I think what we (think we) know will do for now. I just used to see what the limits are, and now I don't see it, and don't know where to check it if I want to know. The limits used to be high enough that it would be hard to exceed them, and now cameras have caught up, so people seem to be running into them, so would want to know what they are.

Not that I'm complaining about not having the extra step when uploading files - Michael has to click an extra Browse button that I don't have to click. But he gets to see info that I don't get to see. I don't think that can have anything to do with my being a moderator.