Could this be Lonicera japonica.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

Unfortunately I came across this plant too late! There aren't any flowers to help with the ID. Only the leaves and fruit. I believe it to be L. japonica, but without the flowers it is difficult to ID to say the least. I seem to have lost my photographs!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nope, this is a Hypericum. Do you have access to a local plant book to help?

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

Once more we meet again this morning Mr. Daniel, Thank you for your Id. It seems that I will have to go through many books to find a sp. Of Hypericum with similar foliage. Thank You again.

4. duffy

duffy Active Member

Thank you Mr. Daniel. I have a library of 3000 volumes, 70 odd of which are books on botany. However, even with so many books on botany I still need your UBC forums. When I really have a problem unsolved I send a cd to Kew Gardens, it takes a while but it is worth it. I get help from the botanical gardens of Naples and the B. Garden of the University of Cammerino. Unfortunately, there are serious workforce difficulties. Kew has, or had, a workforce of 750 persons. The Botanical garden of Naples has a workforce of 3 individuals to care for the gardens. So, they have very little time to spare to resolve any of my problem plants.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, good that you have a library. Well, we can certainly help point you in the right direction sometime! Also, thanks for the book recommendations--I'll see what I can do about getting one or more of those.

6. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is also a good crowd-sourcing group on Facebook, with 92+ thousand members, many from Europe, some from Italy:
    Plant Identification

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I've added the books and FB page to our Plants Identification resource page, will fix up the book references later. Thanks, duffy and Andrey.

8. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years