ID Please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by aramy699, Mar 9, 2017.

1. aramy699

aramy699 Active Member

i don't know, this strange plant appeared in one of my pots - possibly it was a dormant seed in the peat moss - any ideas

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I think it would depend on the origin of your peat moss, if it is in fact from actual sphagnum peat, if it came in a sealed package, or from a huge pile open to a plant nursery, or was shipped in from another continent (actually likely). I don't know that there is any way for you to know for certain where it originated. So let's assume that it was a seed from something in your area, perhaps from the nursery, or from random blowing seeds. Not square stems, so not a mint. Not especially pretty so it either has herbal interest, great flowers, or is a common weed. How aromatic are the leaves? Pinch a bit of a lower fading leaf and sniff. Lantana camara comes to mind, but I'm thinking the leaves look a bit too soft for that.

3. aramy699

aramy699 Active Member

The peat moss comes from the Baltic - it is a sealed package (around 50 kg) - I do not use local nursery peat moss. The leaves are not soft.

4. aramy699

aramy699 Active Member

The stem is covered with bristly hairs - actually I was hurt

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Stinging hairs, like on Urtica dioica?

6. aramy699

aramy699 Active Member

The third photo shows the hair - it is like pins when you touch it

7. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I considered Urtica dioica initially, since I have experienced it first hand, so to speak. Also the other hand and my left shin where I knelt down to get a closer look at it. Only time I've seen it here in thirty years, although we have other stinging plants. This doesn't look like my childhood memory of it, but then I have been wrong about it before. "Hmm, what's this? It looks like stinging nettle, but it can't be. Better roll in it to be sure..."

Lantana camara has these little tiny almost thornlike structures on the stem and I think sometimes under the leaves that are surprising and could scratch you if you grab and pull forcefully. I don't see them on the pics, not even #3. Those rough hairs on the stem in that pic would just be a bit rough if it is a Lantana sp.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would also consider other plants in the Urticaceae.

aramy699 likes this.