Way to draw moderator's attention to post?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Is there a pseudo-memberID - something like @moderator - that can be used to draw the attention of a moderator to a post?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

What's the concern? The short answer is "no", but I have longer answers, just don't know what to address. I read almost every new post. You know my userid and Daniel's, can flag us the same way you just wanted to do with the pseudo-memberID, either in the thread or in a PM (Conversation). You can report a post. That doesn't hide the post from anyone, just reports it in a moderator thread with whatever comments you make, so the system doesn't presume that the post is improper or take any action until we do something. All the moderators would then get to see your comments.

3. Junglekeeper

There's no concern or problem. A pseudo-ID would make it easier to notify ANY moderator for need of attention to a post. For example, to point out a duplicate post, or to move a thread to another forum. A generic code would alleviate the need for someone to know the individual moderators in a forum.

Come to think of it (as I'm composing this response) that's not workable as there are multiple moderators, each assigned to their selective forums. You wouldn't want a generic ID to notify all of them. Never mind, I obviously didn't think this through.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think you could report a post to call attention to it, and it would notify all the moderators, as I said. Whoever took action gets to reply to the thread created in the moderators' forum, so it would be fine to notify everyone, since the person who took action would say so, and the others could ignore it. People don't get black marks or demerits or anything if you report one of their posts, so I don't see any reason you can't report a post that, for instance, should be moved or is duplicate. @Daniel Mosquin might think differently about that. Daniel, do you feel that reporting a post should be reserved for inappropriate posts?

5. Junglekeeper

Yes, I realize that. I was not thinking of the objectionable posts but of things of a more mundane nature, as in the examples I gave above. For those instances I can include highlighted information in my post to draw a moderator's attention when necessary.

Let's put this one to rest. There's no need to take any action.