What may be the cause of this?

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by lagr, Aug 23, 2016.

1. lagr

lagr Member

Hello. I am new to the forum. And i am very glad that found you :)
    Sooo many interesting threads to read :)

My problem is as follows: I have planted some dogwoods edible ( j o l i c o ) this year and while they started just fine the are having a problem. Some of them are going fine but most of them have the following symptoms.
    Here are some pictures to help you understand what is going on..

DSC_0016_resized_0_JPG.jpg DSC_0020_resized_0_JPG.jpg DSC_0022_resized_0_JPG.jpg DSC_0030_resized_0_JPG.jpg DSC_0034_resized_0_JPG.jpg DSC_0039_resized_0_JPG.jpg

Can you help me find the cause of leaf browning ? Also leaves are crispy and they are detaching very easily from the plant if they are totally brown.

Thank you very much in advance.
    I hope you can help me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe Dogwood anthracnose Discula destructiva?

3. lagr

lagr Member

Is nutrient deficiency a possible factor? And if yes, nitrogen phosphorous or potassium deficiency?

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Doesn't look like it's a nutrient deficiency, although that is always possible. If Michael is correct, this disease is fungal and is more likely to infect trees made vulnerable by other conditions. Drought, for one. Your soil and the cardboard used as mulch look quite dry. Is this the case.

5. lagr

lagr Member

I am giving water to plants every 7 days at a rate of 12-16 liters per plant. The average temperature is 34 degrees Celsius and soil type is light clay. Do you suggest to irrigate more often? What about watering amount in liters? Is it enough?

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It would be interesting to know roughly where you are located.

You cannot not rule out a fungal disease afflicting the leaves of your Cornus mas, but it sure doesn't look like anthracnose to me.

Young, newly-planted trees, such as the dogwoods you are worried about, need adequate water in their first few years to become established. I suspect that waiting 7 days between watering has been too long, especially in such warm weather. The fact that even the green leaves are curling suggests a lack of sufficient water as the cause of browning and leaf drop.

Rather than putting cardboard around the base of the trees, choose a permeable, organic mulch such as wood chips to conserve moisture and keep the soil cooler. https://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/wood-chips.pdf

For the rest of this season, you should consider increasing the frequency of watering and try to supply the water slowly so that the soil has a chance to absorb as much as possible. In case there is a fungal problem with the leaves, pick up and destroy all the leaves that turn brown and fall off.

Hopefully your dogwoods will bounce back next year. Do not let their roots dry out completely for at least one more year . . . Cornus mas are said to be fairly drought tolerant - once established - but you need to be assured that your trees are well-rooted before putting them to the test.

thanrose likes this.
  7. lagr

lagr Member

Ok. I will follow your suggestions add report back.
    Can you please help me choosing the right fertilizer and suggest me when to apply and how much so the plant be healthier and develop good root system?

Thank you so much for your support..!

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yes, please let us know how your dogwood does next year. It's too early to be thinking about fertilizer which could well be a further stress because the problems you are having with your tree are unlikely to be caused by a lack of nutrients. Depending on so many variables I have no ability to access, I would recommend waiting until springtime next year and see how the dogwood leafs out. Keep it from drying out and monitor its growth and health before thinking about fertilizing. Then, get in touch with this forum again to talk about fertilizers. All the best!

9. lagr

lagr Member

Thank you very very much..

10. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

@lagr I don't understand why you consider your location as n/a. When growing plants location is always of first importance.

From what you write it looks like it is rather hot there
    - whatever you mean by that.

Cornus mas is not an excessive heat lover, it can be grown successfully only in gardening zones 4-8, what means it will not grow well (survive) in gardening zones either bellow or above that range. It is not possible to know what gardening zone you are in, though, without knowing your location.

Leaves curling up (as seen on your pictures) indicate that it is either too hot or too dry for the plant, or both.

- unmistakably the signs of drought and excessive heat.

These could be very stressful conditions for the plant. Diseases only wait to attack plants that are stressed, and more, there is no cure for the disease while the underlying causes persist.

You definitely should water at least twice a week in the summer during the first couple of years after planting, while making sure the soil is moist around the plant all the time between watering, as deep and wide as the roots go, and a little deeper and wider to allow for the root growth.
    Mulching with whatever organic you have available will help, but if the climate is too hot for the plant there is not much hope for success, anyhow.

11. lagr

lagr Member

I am new to the forum and I didn't knew that I had to setup my location. (Location updated)
    Mulching is really difficult task as the field is located on a hill and it's difficult to reach with car to curry mulch.
    Just to inform that there are many wild cornus mas trees in the field.

12. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Thank you for updating and welcome to the forum.

Since there are many other cornus mas growing there and they are doing well it means that climate is suitable. Are they growing somewhere close to your tree? May be yours has more sun exposure or drier soil on the slope?

So, pay attention to watering, mulch with whatever is available to you, cardboard is good, too. May be you could also afford to shade the tree a little somehow, for example by spreading burlap or similar material above it?

And let us know how your tree is doing later.

13. lagr

lagr Member

Hello again. My dogwoods started to produce leaves so i believe its the right time to report back and show you some new pictures of my plants.

Most of the leaves are looking good but i noticed on many of the plants the following leave curling symptom as shown on the photo.
    image.jpg

Some of the plants have some leaves complete curled. (there is no insect or anything inside that leave)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

And last i have noticed that on some leaves there are some purple spots on the tips:
    image.jpg

Is this normal ? Is there something i should try ?

Thank you.

14. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you believe it is fungal and not growing conditions, then I think it is time to contact Hellenic Phytopathological Society (HPS)

They should be able to put you in touch with an agency that can do a phytopathological test on the leaves.

15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I know there have been a lot of answers to this thread, but can I just add that my Dogwoods are 'more' susceptible to poor drainage than all of my maples. The problem maybe poor preparation of the planting area.