Looking for large planters

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by mvista888, Apr 9, 2016.

1. mvista888

mvista888 Member

Hi there. I'm from Vancouver BC. Can anyone recommend where I can find large planters (minimum of 24") that are affordable? I plan to use it for a couple of magnolia trees that I want to keep in containers. Thanks in advance.

2. rhodomontade

rhodomontade Active Member

Hi: I have several wood containers custom made from 4x4, with 2x4 floor, and lined. They can be screwed or nailed, so fairly easy to build and you're not constrained by manufacturers specific dimensions. It's best to ensure good drainage on the bottom and raise them a few inches with 2x4 or planks. Solid, VERY heavy, but good long term. I have maples, rhodos and wisteria growing quite happily in them.
    Relatively cheap by comparison.
    Regards

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. rhodomontade

Before I went the route of 'large timber', I personally checked 40+ garden centers in the Lower Mainland, phoned others, and they source wooden boxes from 3-4 companies. Typically, their construction is from fairly thin materials, less than an inch thick, often stapled, not even nailed and they rot quickly even when made of cedar and lined. I use them for ferns, small perennials and that works fine.
    If you have to move them, they break easily and they can't take any sort of load. Perhaps a company mass markets sturdier boxes, but after 40 I gave up looking.
    I can't comment on 'plastic' containers, but I would recommend the 4x4 route. (These days they're closer to 3x3.) Magnolia roots being close to surface, you might require less than a 1.1/2 ft high container. If you raise it on planks, as I mentioned, it can be lifted with straps and won't fall apart. I stress they are heavy when filled!
    All the best.

5. mvista888

mvista888 Member

Thanks, Rhodomontade and Junglekeeper. I tried checking online but only saw smaller planters on the sites. I guess I will need to go to the stores.

Rhodomontade, would you mind posting a picture of your wood containers? Did you make them yourself?

6. rhodomontade

I'll find a pic, pre-planting. They were custom made, but I think some time ago, a company did make something similar. We 'inherited' a couple of wood planters and used that as a guide.
    Regards

7. rhodomontade

Hello mvista: The planter is made of stacked 4x4 (31/12 x 3/12), with a base (too dark to see) of sections of 2 x 6
    You can nail/screw each 'frame' of 4 x 4 and simply place one on top of the other, or screw each frame together for added stability.
    The bottom 2 x 6 has slits left for some aeration.
    if you want to move the planter at some point, then screw 2 2 x 4 pieces on the bottom, as well, so you can put a sling or chain underneath.
    You may not want the floor if you're leaving the planter in 1 place.
    You can buy a liner in any good hardware store with a garden section. I have material a landscape gardener sold me and it's 'breathable'. I don't know the brand.
    The pic has the large rhodo and a maple in the planter and is a little less than 3 ft square, and very solid. There will be some seepage at the bottom but that's necessary.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  8. mvista888

mvista888 Member

Hi Rhodomontade! Thank you so much for sharing. This might just work for my magnolias.