Rhododendrons: Squirrels ate my Rhodie and Azalea buds.

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by vcallinan, May 25, 2004.

1. vcallinan

vcallinan Active Member

I spent a lot of effort protecting my bulbs - i didn't even think about these buds. This year's batch is shot, but what can i do to protect next year's buds?

2. Dianne Kelly

Dianne Kelly New Member

I have the same problem but this squirrel has actually chewed all my stalks off my plant (I think she is making a nest), other than putting burlap around it next year I am not too sure what else to do?

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

If they really cause you a lot of pain buy yourself a humane squirrel trap and catch them one by one and relocate to unpopulated area.
    Burlap they consider as a very good material for making their nests warm and cozy.

4. Dianne Kelly

Dianne Kelly New Member

Thank's but I don't have enough time to catch all the squirrels we have.
    I think I would rather they take the burlap than my Rhodie.
    Will keep thinking!

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, you can try burlap, chances are it will help if you don't have a serous squirrel infestation . . . or, having such a great material to make their nests cozy they will multiply more . . . :-(

Personally, I have found relocating them well worth of time. A few years ago I relocated seven or eight of them in a couple of weeks. Others are still around, but the numbers are not that overwhelming now.
    I believe squirrels are good for environment, doing great job spreading seeds around. It was a waste of their effort to do this, among other things, on my property, though.

If you were interested, I would recommend Havahart Medium Live Trap. Take them for a ride and release as soon after catching as you can, otherwise they may exhaust themselves trying to get out of the cage.

6. rhodomontade

rhodomontade Active Member

Many people use a cayenne pepper mix or commercial animal repellent. There are several garden forums with this topic and people use their own special mix of various peppers, diluted and sometimes mixed with soap/detergent to be applied as a spray. Same with garlic, water, dish soap. Thing is, you have to apply regularly.
    I don't suffer from that problem so I have no first hand experience. I'll check with fellow growers later today - you can always go to the Vancouver Rhodo Soc. meeting this evening and ask the experts!

7. Dianne Kelly

Dianne Kelly New Member

Thanks for all your info. Will look into the trap idea.

8. Dianne Kelly

Dianne Kelly New Member

I have tried the cayenne and the animal repellent but as you say, you have to keep reapplying.
    They also strip the bark off my trees and in the summer dig up my planters to hide their nuts.....starting to not like squirrels!!
    I would love to attend the Vancouver meeting but unfortunately I live in Milton Ontario.
    Thanks for your input.