Apps for Mobile Devices resource file discussion

Mobile apps related to the subjects discussed on the UBCBG forums

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

2. Matt Park

Matt Park New Member

Thank you for putting together this list, and for including Plantola.

One of the apps I would recommend checking out is Leafsnap. They have developed a technology that can identify some
    trees found in the Northeastern United States and Canada using image recognition.

3. wcutler

Wow. Thanks. I've added it.

It's nice to see what wealthy institutions can do, though they are depending on volunteers to do the Android version and don't have a release date for that.

Matt Park likes this.
  4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I stumbled upon an app, BC Wildflowers, and was going to report it but I see Wendy beat me to it. The app is one of a series available in Google Play and is currently included in the resource under the heading Wildflower Search. However the app covers not only wildflowers but all types of plants including trees, shrubs, grasses, and more.

@wcutler The resource description should be updated to say the apps are plant finders; the resource and app titles suggest something less. Perhaps the resource heading should be changed to Plant Finders by Wildflower Search. By the way, there's a typo in the resource description that reads 100Mg; it should probably be changed to 100MB.

5. wcutler

Thanks, @Junglekeeper. I fixed the Mg-MB, added Plant Finders to the end of the title but kept the Wildflower Search as the clickable part, as I've been using the name on the websites as the item titles. I think it should still sort under "W" if people remember the name of the site and want to find the link. If Daniel thinks that looks too weird with half the title in a different colour, I'll change it. Or if you convince me to change it. And I added to the description.

6. Junglekeeper

@wcutler Perhaps Plant Finders should be moved from the title to the description so that "These apps cover..." becomes "These plant finders...". The bolding would highlight the fact that the apps cover more than wildflowers. Also, I suggest changing "links for Android or iPhone/iPad are provided..." to "links to Google Play Store and iTunes Store are provided..." to let the reader know they can be installed from normal channels rather than from what Android refers to as an 'unknown' source.

Edit: Removed incorrect links.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  7. wcutler

You tricked me, @Junglekeeper - your Google Play and iTunes links were not correct links, and there isn't just one link, just the one I listed. I've changed the text to those words, and changed the title/first line as you suggested. Thanks.

8. Junglekeeper

Oh...my bad. I copied the links from the entry above and forgot to change them. I'm glad you caught my mistake. Thanks.

By the way, have you tried this app? It looks good from what the photos show.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  9. wcutler

I haven't tried it. Yet.

10. Labreapits

Labreapits New Member

Virginia Tech Tree ID aka vtree is available at the Google play store or itunes

It has worked well for me.

11. wcutler

Thanks. I've added it to our Apps for Mobile Devices Resource page.

12. Junglekeeper

13. wcutler

Thanks. I've added it, with links to iTunes and Google Play. It was developed by the US Dept of Agriculture, but I'm unable to find any mention of it on their website. It says it's part
    of the complete Identifying Commonly Cultivated Palms tool, Lucid Mobile key developed by USDA APHIS ITP. The link given on iTunes doesn't work, but I did find a page at ITP to use as the link (as well as the iTunes and Google Play links).

14. Junglekeeper

App by Natural Resources Canada mentioned in today's Vancouver Sun, with description from Google Play Store:

15. wcutler

Thanks, Junglekeeper. I had it on my desk to do. :)
    I've installed it (Android), am a bit confused so far. I checked for my hardiness zone, which is mauve. I can't seem to find a key. But when I searched for a tree, it says my hardiness zone has been detected using my GPS and it's hardiness zone 5b and seems to only be showing trees in that zone or cooler. I commented in another thread that the "city's website at Gardening says we're climate zone 7/8", which I also thought was not correct. [Edited]I see, you can filter and select any hardiness zone you want.

16. wcutler

I was wrong about that - I guess it's that most native Canadian trees have a lower hardiness zone. It does show Arbutus menziesii, which is says is zone 8. In that case, maybe the city's statement about our being zone 7/8 is not completely inaccurate, as we do grow those trees here.

17. asklepiosseeds

asklepiosseeds New Member

Hello,
    I am just working on an App which will provide information about hardiness of 30k of plants for specific locations definded by zip code.
    To also make this work in Canada i need to get the USDA zones mapped to zip codes but i am not able to get that. All i can find is the zones mapped to municipals.
    Maybe someone can help me with that?

i do not want to monetize this in any way. it will be a completely free application ofcourse.
    we have an onlineshop for seeds and i often get asked about hardiness and then cant easily tell because i am not used to customers zone, maybe dont know the one belonging to the plant etc...
    so i decided to work on that with data for USA, CA, UK, AT, CH and Germany

regards
    Steffen

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2018
  18. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

I am planning to be more accurate in orienting some of my plant rows in a true south-facing direction.

Can anybody here recommend a good compass app for a Samsung smartphone (i.e., Android)?
    I've done a quick search and saw several listed.
    Anybody here have experience with an Android app they recommend?
    Alternately, is there an app that should be avoided?

This will be a fun little experiment for me.
    I plan to compare its results to that of a magnetic compass. So, I'll have to take into account the magnetic declination, which--I believe--here in the Lower Mainland is 21 degrees.
    Then I'll see how those results compare to other techniques (e.g., tracking the Sun's shadow around noon for the highest point).

19. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

One way to find true south (or north) when the sun is shining is to use an app that shows the sun's position throughout the day for your location and then look up the time when the sun is at the meridian. At that time its shadow will point true north. I use timeanddate.com on a personal computer for this type of information, but I don't know if that app works very well on a smartphone.