Feedback on new Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 15, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

In Edge, the one that was not displaying came up right away on the Display in Original Browser (I don't suppose you can change that description?). But still is not displaying in the regular photos display. But in Firefox, one that was not displaying was showing the connecting thing for the full size window for longer than you would want. And now they're all good in any display in Firefox, but 2 is not in up yet in the regular display in Edge, even though I've looked at the resize (large) one twice in Edge.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Your previous two posts occurred while I was mucking about with the server configuration, so they aren't useful to determining whether I now have it set up correctly. Give it another go now.

3. wcutler

Edge: 1 and 4 not displaying; in new window, large 1 came up not instantly but quickly enough; expanded view of 4 was almost instant. Neither is displaying in the regular view.
    Firefox: they all worked instantly. Same for the expanded view. Instant.
    But then in Edge I went to
    Identification: - A two story high maple tree with three uneven lobes | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    First three were instant, but then next 3 didn't display then two did, then one not.
    In Firefox, 1, 3 and 4 did not display. While looking at 5, it brought up 3; I came back here to type, when I got back, it had gone on to 6 on its own initiative.

I've returned to Edge. Still not displaying.

On Chrome, I'm getting a black screen on everything, not just your site. Some google address is in one of the things it's waiting for.
    Played with that for a while, went back to Edge; those two are still not displaying.

While waiting for these thumbs to expand in the viewer, I'm not seeing any connecting indicator that you mentioned that something is happening. I only see that Connecting thing on the tab when I click the enlarge button. I had trouble finding one in Edge - all the expanded window photos came up instantly. So now in Firefox, I typed this paragraph, checked for Connecting indicators, just went back to Firefox and it's still showing Connecting on the 4th photo in the second thread where I'm waiting for the display in original browser.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are you waiting for the entire page to load first before clicking on the thumbnails?

5. wcutler

I'm not sure what you mean. The first posting is just a single posting, not even a reply. The whole page comes up instantly. There isn't any delay showing the photos in the upload area. Actually, right now, I'm having trouble finding a problem! I thought of opening this before Edge to see if Edge was screwing up anything. Well, In Edge, I brought up the two-story maple as I described below, then went back to look at it in Firefox; still no problem.

OK, I can find a problem to look at in Edge. In the two-story maple thread, again, there is only one posting with photos, and all the thumbs come up instantly. When I click one and go to the photo viewer, the first does not display, but I see no indicator that it's even thinking of doing anything (in either browser, on the page or the tab), so I can't tell if it's loading the set or what. So after what seems like a reasonable time, I click another photo, then another. This time, the third came up. I consider it a reasonable enough time to wait to type this paragraph and then go back to see if it has done it.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Doesn't matter, I'm stymied. We'll have to wait and see what Xenforo support suggests.

7. wcutler

Maybe you can get somewhere by considering what is not a problem. Mariko's thread Cherries in Japan | UBC Botanical Garden Forums comes up blinkingly fast. Way faster than the old system. All the embedded and not-embedded thumbs appear right away. In both browsers. That never happened in the old system, even the first 25 postings (I was looking at 100 at a time). I arbitrarily picked posting #137, which link will work for you but not for me, in Firefox, and I had to wait for the photo I selected, but it's not too bad.

In Edge, I picked maybe #135 , now I forget exactly, first photo didn't come up; when I clicked the second photo, the first one came up, but it's off to the left side of the window.
    (I removed the page number from this link, will have to do that for links for the map if there isn't any answer for linking problem from last-first display. )

So questions:
    1. Is that photo-viewer flaky? I put this first, because it's my top suspect, particularly in Edge. It certainly looks flaky and does bizarre things. I didn't take a screen print of what it looked like in Edge just now, and just now, returning to the 135 posting, there is no problem at all! It's been a while since I first went there, though. In Firefox, on #140, I clicked the first photo; it took a while, then very briefly displayed some other photo, then brought up the first photo. Actually, on another posting in that thread, it just did that in Edge. And speaking of flaky, in Edge, when I look at photos and then click on the side of the viewer to go back to the thread, it takes me to the top (last posting), which is SO annoying in a long thread. That's why in the second paragraph, I'm not sure which posting I was looking at. So I tried clicking the X to close the viewer. Then it took me to the bottom of that page. No less annoying really. In Firefox, both actions take me to the posting whose photos I was looking at. Do you want this written up separately and where?
    2. Are the photo-viewer size photos stored the same way the thumbs are stored?
    3. Are photo-viewer size photos accessed the same way the pages access the thumbs?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. Daniel Mosquin

It's not the photo viewer, I can get the same issue when attempting to load the full-size images by right-clicking on thumbnails and opening in new tabs.

9. wcutler

I only once had a problem right-clicking and selecting open in new tab. But right now, in Edge, on Mariko's thread, almost no problems. One photo took a while to load in the viewer, but the other 20 came right up on clicking. And every photo I right clicked on opened before I could get to the tab.
    Ah, Edge, West End, latest page, I'm seeing some delay with the thumbs. To answer your earlier question, on page 5 of West End, with the thumbs not fully loaded, there was no delay with the view in new tab via right clicking, even when I clicked a not fully loaded thumb. Well, and in a posting none of whose four thumbs are fully displayed in Edge, there was no problem seeing all photos in the viewer. Well, those thumbs never did resolve, but when I reloaded the browser, they all displayed instantly. So maybe they were already in cache, just not ever going to display. I"m sorry this system wasn't coded for Edge. There are some things about it that I really like and I wish I could use it. In Firefox, I can't get any unresolved thumbs; they just all come up right away, even West End heavy photo pages I haven't previously been to.

OH, I clicked the X in Edge and it properly took me back to the posting.

10. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

AlainK likes this.
  11. Daniel Mosquin

12. wcutler

Me too.
    If you Like something, does that mean you get that thread on your Watched Threads list? I can't check that, because I made a reply, so it's on my Watched Threads from that. You could check that, as you only did a Like.
    I don't know where to do a write up of the Like function. I wasn't going to do help text for "how to read a posting".

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What does the little red number on the UBC's bookmark icon mean? It showed 17 a couple of days ago, and 18 today. Magnified printscreen below.

Attached Files:

• 0008.png
      0008.png
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Junglekeeper

I believe it represents the number of new conversations and alerts you've received. The indicator in the favicon seems to go hand-in-hand with the red flags appearing above the Inbox and Alerts drop-downs to the top right of the screen.

15. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, that's it thanks! The little red number has gone now, now that I've looked at the alerts.

16. wcutler

Wait a minute - what's that favicon thing Michael's seeing? I'm not seeing that!
    And is that on a mobile? How are alerts over Members?

17. Junglekeeper

The favicon is roughly where it would be if the forum is displayed in the second tab in the browser.

18. wcutler

Oh, ON the tab, where favicons are. It didn't look like it was a tab and I have bookmarks and a URL line between the Members bar and the tabs.
    And it is NOT there in my Edge browser. I see it in the other browsers. And gmail's favicon is there. If this browser didn't solve my typing delay problem with Firefox, I would ditch it. Maybe time to go back to Chrome.

upload_2015-11-2_9-57-29.png

19. wcutler

Two search problems:

1. It's not possible to search for a member whose name is a subset of another member. For instance, you know I'm putting links on the members who have submitted resources. I was unable to get the link for Liz, as there are two other members whose names begin with Liz. Same for Andre. I had to find a posting by those people and pick up the link from there. I just thought Liz wasn't on the system any more, but I was pretty sure Andre should have come up. So I am currently not able to do a search for maples in postings by Andre.

2. The other day I saw my posting from several years ago where I complained that on a botanical garden site, people should be able to search for elm, ash, oak, bud, but I can't find it now, because I can't search on those terms. @Daniel, you fixed that in the old system; I think it should be fixed here. I don't know if you had an exclusion list or what you did. There were more terms in my original posting.

20. Daniel Mosquin

For searching by username, don't select any of the autofills that come up from the dropdowns. Just leave it as Andre or Liz. Or, if you want to be certain it doesn't insert from the dropdown, use the comma, e.g., Andre, or Liz,

I will see what I can do about the three-character search restriction. That is both a database setting and a forum setting combined. As a workaround for now, search for oak* or elm*

21. Daniel Mosquin

Three-character search is fixed, the search index is rebuilding now. It should take a half hour or so for all posts to be reindexed.

22. wcutler

I've tried both things you said in Chrome, Firefox and Edge. I cannot not select the autofill. If I type Liz and hit enter, it autofills; if I backspace and hit enter, it autofills again.
    With the comma, it just says
    The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name.
    That was fast - I'm still typing my reply. I'm glad to read this, as searching for elm* posted by me only returned a posting that had elms.

23. Daniel Mosquin

Don't know what to suggest. In the posted by members box, I just type in liz, or liz then hit tab twice and hit enter, and all is fine.

24. wcutler

Ah, I got a hint from this. I already said what just liz does; liz then tab gives me Kaki; liz then tab twice gives me dmb123; but liz then tab, then shift tab (which is a back tab) gives me Liz!
    That even works for a query on Maples by Andre. Andre plus shift takes me to the date box, then shift tab takes me back to the name, and then when I hit enter, I get Andre's maples posts.

I don't claim to be especially brilliant, even with your help, but really, I don't think people will figure that out.

I also got the member query to work by typing liz, clicking outside the box, then clicking inside the box again and hitting enter. Maybe they'll figure that out.

25. Daniel Mosquin

Where exactly are you searching?