East Coast

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kaitain4, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thinking about our East Coast members and hoping they are OK after this horrific storm. Sound off when you can and let us know how you are! In our thoughts and prayers...

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey, Kaitain, thanks.

My 90-year-old mom is on the north shore of Long Island (NY). This morning I finally got through on cell phone to her neighbor, who said that power is out, branches down, and siding off most of his house. Fortunately elevation high enough that flooding did not occur, at least on Mom's street. He last spoke to Mom on Monday and said that she was OK then.

Am concerned about her. Not only because of her age, but that my dad passed away on Oct. 8...this storm would be disorienting to her anytime, but more so now.

Here in Ohio we have been having a winter storm, and now remnants of Sandy. High winds, rain and snow. And COLD!!! Barely above freezing. Am glad that, at least, temps in NY are warmer than this.

My wishes for safety go out to all members and their families in Sandy's path.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My thoughts go out too. The Queens situation is awful, and I know our own Ed S. was right in the path on the Jersey shore.

Much of my family is in from NY visiting France! That's some luck anyway. But my old dad's girlfriend, who is staying in his apartment with his cat, was evacuated because of the dangling crane. Indeed as Togata57 says very disorienting, perhaps even more so when you're already apt sitting and in your mid 80s. My nephew's girlfriend was without power on 15th st, but managed to get to a friend's place and so at least isn't alone.

best,

-E

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

My best wishes for the folks in the Eastern part, having been through (a much less damaging) wind storm in my garden I sympathize with you.

Gomero

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Like Doug and the others, my heart and mind have been with our colleagues in harm's way the
    last few days. The scenes from New Jersey and NYC are heart-breaking. I know Diana Smith at
    Topiary Gardens is fine and the storm went more south. Ed Shinn told me he was prepared as
    Ed ALWAYS is but we wait to hear positively from Ed and other friends in the area. I pray they are
    well like we all do and grieve for their loss.

6. Kaitain4

I heard from Ed and he and his family are all right. Minor damage. They are, however, without power and are on generators, so he doesn't have access to a computer right now. Cell phone only.

This is welcome news, but it ain't over yet, as they say...

7. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, Doug, for the update on Ed Shinn.
    THAT is great news!

8. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the thoughts and prayrs. Running on generator but ISP is down so no internet. Today is the first day or internet on my cell.

BTY, 75 to 85 MPR winds and the maples all held up very well. Great fall color today with the bright sun. The garden is a nice place to get reality off your mind.

Many homes just two to five miles away are gone. Many people chose to ride out the storm and it was an unwise choice.

Thanks,

Ed

9. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

Ed

have the authorities given you any time frame for the electricity to be turned back on.............. ?

hang in there many are praying for you and others.

E ~

10. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Got power back yesterday. Maples held up very well, but many large trees in the area, mostly oaks locally, were downed with wires. There were many leaves left on these trees to catch the winds. Lots of people without power still, and another storm coming in 2 days. I saw a complex with a row of large Bradford pear trees, that must have weathered many storms in the past, and every one had the head snapped off. Tree and electrical crews are here from all over the country, the crew that brought us back was from Georgia. I'm just a few blocks from the shore, but on a little hill, so no flood risk. Lots of people locally were flooded.
    David

11. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

My mom (on north shore of L.I.) still out. I am so very grateful for her alert neighbors, who are checking up on her daily---and are themselves without power.

LIPA Power Outages map gives no estimate as to when situation will improve. Still 250,000 out on L.I.
    http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html

12. NJACER

Power came back on yesterday at around 3:30 PM so after a few hundred emails we are getting back to normal.

Mother nature is very interesting. We were very fortunate that our garden and home were not damaged by the storm. Most of the homes surrounding us had many large trees down and just two miles east is like a war zone. I said in my earlier post that the garden looked great last week with the fall color. This week is very different. Most of the maples and other broad leaf trees have had the leaves curl up and die without changing to fall color. The only time I have seen this is when you see a tree that is being transported in a truck unprotected at highway speeds. The wind decimates the leaves but thank God it is fall and the leave were about to drop soon. This spring will be interesting to see what the efects are long term.

Ed

13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could also be salt spray damage - after the UK's 1987 storm, salt spray damage was observed up to 80 km (50 miles) inland.

14. NJACER

12 inches of wet snow on maples with leaves still on equal’s disaster. I spent hours in the garden with a large backpack blower but could not keep up with the snow. The garden is destroyed with hundreds of trees damaged and lost. First picture is taken during Sandy and others this morning. Last picture is a four inch branch broken off of A.p. ‘Moonfire’

Attached Files:

15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ed, I'm so sorry about your losses. Hang in there.

-Emery

16. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry to hear about this Ed, I hope that when the snow clears your losses and damage turn out not to be as bad as you fear.

17. NJACER

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I spent three hours with a backpack blower knocking as much snow off of the trees as possible. The snow is melting fast and they say we may hit mid 50s to 60 deg this weekend. Unfortunatly the losses only get worse. Many 30 year old cultivars have multiple large limbs broken off. Many trees 8 to 10 feet are split to the ground. I have spent over twenty seven years building this garden and have been focused on fastigate and miniture plants for the last few years because of space limitations. The only good thing is I will have lots of places to plant. I will try to post pictures this weekend when it melts.

Thanks,
    Ed

18. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Oh, Ed, I am so sorry. I know this was a labor of love for you, and when I have worked in my garden I often thought about what you had accomplished there. I can't imagine 12" of snow at this time. We had lost more leaves than you and also got less snow, so damage was limited. You have definitely been an inspiration. I respect your positive thought, but know this affects you a great deal. I have never seen so many beautiful Japanese maples as you have, and so well displayed. I'm also grateful for you generosity in sharing them! Good luck caring for them and rebuilding.

19. Kaitain4

Ed,

I'm SO SORRY! This is just awful! I honestly don't know what to say, other than you are more than welcome to any cultivars in my garden if you have lost some cherished or rare ones. I have grafted most of them over the past few years and so I have quite a few spares. Hang in there friend!

20. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

Ed,

I just read of your devastating losses! I'm just broken-hearted for you and Debbie. I'd be happy to return the generous gifts of trees you gave me last spring if it would help, just let me know. Continuing to keep you in my prayers.

21. NJACER

I would like to thank all of my maple friends for their kind thoughts and prayers. We have been shielded living in zone 7B from many of the hardships that plant collectors face in other areas. Our garden is about three miles from the ocean and that helps us experience mild winters and the cool water temperatures help keep our plants from leafing out early and getting spring damage. I guess it was our turn.
    After little to no damage from Sandy, the 12 inches of wet snow really took a toll. When we think of snow damage on Japanese Maples we often think that the weeping dissectums are the first cultivars to experience structural damage. This was not the case with this storm. Most of our damage was on the large upright cultivars. I do not think I had a single broken branch on a dissectum.
    The snow weighted down the trees on either side of my front yard to the point was you could not walk out of either side of the circular drive (see driveway photo). I spent three hours with a backpack blower removing as much snow as possible without stressing the branches. Many of the trees stood up and others did not fare so well. A.p. ‘Trompenburg ‘was one that did great. In the attached pictures you can see that the branches are down to the ground and the tree is reduced to about 10 feet tall from approximately 25 feet. The second photo shows the one small branch that was damaged after a few days. Also behind the Trompenburg without the snow you can see A.p. Crimson Queen.

I will post again showing some of the cultivars that did not fare as well.

Ed

Attached Files:

22. NJACER

Here are some cultivars that did not do very well with the snow.

Ed

Attached Files:

23. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

All of them split at narrow forks . . . maybe something to try to prune to avoid on new plants?

24. Squeezied

Squeezied Active Member

I'm very sadden to see all your lovely and mature trees in that state. I hope you still have some beautiful maples left.

25. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Those are heart breaking pictures.....

Gomero