yellow hibicus

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by bobmc123, Aug 22, 2009.

1. bobmc123

bobmc123 Member

is there a yellow hibicus plant that can stay out year round in soutern ontario and make it threw the winters like the reds and white ones

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not that I know of.

3. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

Hi Bob, How cold does it get in southern Ontario?

B.B.

4. Ron B

Later I saw that there is a pale yellow one on the market now that is an H. moscheutos type.

5. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    When I was a kid in Hawaii, we had a hibiscus on the lawn that produced flowers of every color, including the deep red and the multicolor one I was taught to call "sunset." I'm pretty sure it was done by grafting, but I don't know if folks on this continent have done it. So a)does anyone have any experience with this, and b) would it serve to answer bobmc's needs?

6. Ron B

R. rosa-sinensis not hardy outdoors in Canada.

7. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

Hi 2annbrow, I read a story on the net once written by a woman that said her dad grafted different blooms on a plant. She said people would get out of their cars and come up into their yard and stare at it. I personally have not had any experience with that.

jazzy1

8. jazzy1

jazzy1 Member

I didn't think so. We had a freak snow today and it looks like it will get down in the freeze zone tonight. I have three fancies (Rodeo Drive, Bubble Gum Fun and Night Fire) and their in the house, one schizopetalis, brougth it in this morning, just brought El Capitolia in. I have a rosa-sinensis that is either Florida Sunset or Hawaiin Rose and just brought it in. I bought a yellow one this spring and I don't have any idea what its name is. The nursery where I bought it didn't have any names on them, broguth it in today.

I'm preparing a place to plant Florida Sunset, Schizopetalis, El Capitolia and the yellow one this coming spring. I have already started designing a frame work for it and I will be able to put a heater in there when the weather calls for it.

jazzy1