Forums status update

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi folks,

A couple points to take note of:

I am slowly working through the backlog of postings I was never able to moderate.

Presently, this stands at 12350 posts between Oct 7-Dec 7, 2008, Dec 31, 2008-March 6, 2009, and Apr 2-Apr 11, 2009.

Unfortunately, for the time period while I was on my medical leave from early May and continuing on to mid-August, plus the time period when I was slowly re-assuming my forum duties from Eric to early October, I don't have any email notifications for those postings. I catch these and (most often) move them to a better forum when I discover them. Less often: if you have many posts on this forum, you will almost certainly notice a reduction in your post total, as I've also been removing dead threads (e.g., discussions around links to pages that no longer exist), postings that attempted to revive old threads and were unsuccessful, and discussions of a short-term nature (particularly if they've stalled and don't contain commentary that others can learn from).

Eric did a stellar job in my absence, but he was doing the work in addition to his regular duties, so his time was limited. I'm doing extra-duty myself, right now, to catch up.

You will also notice a shift in emphasis on the forums. I'm highlighting forums and discussions that align themselves closely with what the garden does and who we are: plants (botanical garden), education (university), local (British Columbia), our role at the university (Faculty of Land and Food Systems -- changes to the forum to come) and celebrating biodiversity (our education theme for next year -- changes to the forum to come).

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Three cheers for Daniel,

You do a great job too.

Biodiversity I *will be very much interested in. I already post about Indigenous people being displaced from their ancestral home. Also Illegal logging.Orangutan habitat loss in the forests.

Exciting times ahead here.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Just a small update on the update:

Down to 9432 posts to go through yet, from Oct 11 08 to Dec 7 08 and Jan 1 09 to Feb 26 09. At this rate, I'll be caught up mid-June!

Will be making the changes re: "(Faculty of Land and Food Systems -- changes to the forum to come)" soon, too.