Please Help Me Save This Rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by cathncambridge, Oct 3, 2009.

1. cathncambridge

cathncambridge Member

Hi! I've searched this forum for advice, but nothing I've found so far seems to apply to my plant. This poor Rose needs attention and I'm not sure what (if anything) to do for it. We inherited it when we moved into our home a couple of months ago. It did bloom once. I'm thinking of cutting it back to see what happens, but I'm afraid of killing it.
    Any help will be appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I think cut out all the dead wood,

Use a pair of sharp secateurs to make a sloping cut, just above an outward facing bud. The slant of the cut should face away, so rain does not run into the bud and cause it to rot.

Prune in mid-spring. First remove dead, diseased and dying branches, and thin out if overcrowded - remove any crossing branches and cut a few older stems to the base.

Reduce healthy main stems by about a quarter.

Tie in any new shoots and remove any really old branches if the plant is heavily congested - this will stimulate new growth.
    Prune side branches growing from the main framework, cutting them back to leave two to three leaf buds.

if your rose has not been pruned for some time, select a few old woody branches and cut to the base, new shoots will soon grow and can be tied in to the framework.

3. cathncambridge

cathncambridge Member

There doesn't actually appear to be any dead wood. It only has those 2 stems coming out of the base, then no leaves or branches until half way up... I don't think i'd describe it as "heavily congested" - it's the most scraggly looking thing...is it possible to get it to fill itself in?

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

cut back at the bottom to the nearest bud in the manner explained in the reply above.

I only have a little knowledge of roses, sorry Cath!

5. cathncambridge

cathncambridge Member

Please don't be sorry - you know more than I do!!

Thanks!!
    Cheers.

6. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    It looks from the first picture that the basal is too far out of the ground. Either build up more soil around the base of the plant or when it's dormant dig it up and replant it deeper in the ground. You could also try taking cuttings and propagate them to start a new plant all together if this is the rose you want to keep. As a last resort plant a whole new one.

7. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

While it may sound harsh, what I would do is dig the poor thing out. Then, dig out about a barrow load of the soil replacing it with a good organic mix - your own soil from another part of the garden amended with organic matter. Get a new plant and plant it properly a little farther out from the wall. If you're intent on saving it, you may wish to take the other suggestion - cut it back to 8-12 inches (30cm) replant in new amended soil a little farth out from the wall. And as previously suggested, either take cuttings of bud yourself a new rose. My honest opinion is that it doesn't look to me like it's worth saving - just my opinion! sorry.....Unless the rose has some scentimental value, you are far and away better to start with a new plant.

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i would trim the two main canes down to about 12 inches tall. wait until it's completely dormant though - once full winter cold is in place.

i'd also add some additional soil around the base.

wouldn't move it at all.

9. cathncambridge

cathncambridge Member

thank you so much for the replies and advice...

The Rosebush of no sentimental value - we are renting this home and I've already spent a small fortune on the garden (I'm sure the owners will appreciate it - just hope they don't raise the rent - lol

I've already added organic soil/compost mix around the base to build it up. I'll wait until it goes dormant, then try the "drastic haircut"... if it dies, I'll just dig it out and plant a new one in the spring - or not...it's a pretty shaded area...

You guys are awesome. Thanks again.

10. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

One word Cath,

do not plant another rose in the same place, leave the soil to rest a while...plant one some other space.

11. cathncambridge

cathncambridge Member

Thanks Kat!

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

My pleasure,

Hope you are very happy in your new home.