I Want To Grow A KUMQUAT TREE,I HAVE THE SEEDS WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Fernando Roach, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Fernando Roach

Fernando Roach Member

I have never planted any type of tree or plant so i need a lot of help please.

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Have they dried out? They really shouldn't as this reduces chances of germination. If they have, soak them for 2 hours in some water, clip the ends off the seed (The pointy bit) but be careful not to damage anything underneath, then put them in well draining potting mix. Bottom heat would be good if you have a eating mat or any other source of heat, just don't fry them. Then they should germinate.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kumquats, are almost never ever grown on their own roots. Most all kumquats are grown by being grafted onto trifoliate orange rootstock. Kumquats are native to China, where also the Chinese people grafted all their kumquats onto trifoliate orange stocks, going back many hundreds of years. Your seedling tree will, of course, grow, and will likely follow the normal pattern for seedling kumquats, with poor fruit production, and live a relatively short life. You will be much farther ahead to spend $20 to $30 dollars and purchase a grafted kumquat tree from a reliable nursery in Florida. - Millet (1,419-)

4. Fernando Roach

Fernando Roach Member

Well i actually have the actual kumquat i picked it off a tree and i havent taken the seed out yet and how much should i water them?

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Plant the seed in any good potting medium, and keep the medium moist, but not wet, at a temperature between 86 - 90F until germination. After the seed germinates, place the seedling in bright sunlight. When you water the young plant, water it well. Water in the early morning, then set the container in direct sunlight so that the surface of the soil quickly dries. This is to prevent a fungus commonly known as stem rot (Rhizoctonia solani), which is the most common killer of young seedlings. Fertilize at 1/2 strength. - Millet (1,419-)