Transplanting grapevines and pollination between Concord and Mars grapevines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by anna00b, Feb 23, 2009.

1. anna00b

anna00b Member

Hi. I am new to this forum, and was hoping someone can help me out with 2 questions.

A friend of mine offered me 2 mature grape vines that I can re-plant - if we do this after the thaw in March, are the vines likely to survive? We live in Boston, MA.

Also, I was offered a Concord and a Mars grape vine - will they produce fruit if there is no other grape to cross-polinate, or are these self-polinating?

Thanks so much for any advice!
    Anna

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Mars and Concord will produce fruit on their own. Mars is a nice seedless blue grape from the University of Arkansas grape breeding program.

It's important to transplant the grapes as early as possible. Get as much of the root
    system as possible. Make sure that you dig a hole large enough to accomodate
    the root systems. It's also important water the vines as well. You may lose a production the first year due to the transplant and don't be alarmed if the vine loses
    some vigor. It will take time for the vine to come back.

Good luck

3. boizeau

boizeau Member

Both are self fertile, but the cross pollination will still improve set, especially on the Seedless grape.
    If you had an older female type grape, then yes it really matters.
    Almost all commercial grapes are now perfect flowered, though Elmer Swenson released a few female vines for sale.