manure in vancouver

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by bhirani, Sep 13, 2007.

1. bhirani

bhirani Member

anyone know where to source some good, (preferably) well-composted manure in or around vancouver?

i've got a line on some mushroom compost, but i'm not too excited about paying for it...

2. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

Meadows Feedlot in Pitt Meadows has steer manure.

3. bhirani

bhirani Member

thanks for the tip. i'll check it out.

how about a place that delivers?

or somewhere in the city to find seed/bean meal (soy, flax, etc)?

4. Just Curious

They deliver.

5. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Some of the horse barns in Southlands, below Marine Drive on the west side of Vancouver, offer free, fresh, manure, and I think you have to take it away yourself.

6. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

Look in the Yellow Pages under Feed.

7. Cheng

Cheng Member

Please give me some detail about the Cow Manure of Pitt Meadows , I am from Coquitlam, but, I couldnt' find it on Yellowpages.ca Please Reply

8. Just Curious

Cheng
    18261 dewdney trunk, first left after the Pitt bridge, first farm on the left. Self serve, $1.00/bag, app. 20 litres.

9. Cheng

Cheng Member

Thank You very much. I contact them, and they said the Cow Manure are made with some kind of sawdust, I am not sure what is this? Is there many kindo of Cow manure, How can I tell which kind is doing what? Would you mind letting me know? Thanks a lot again. I will be ordering a trunk load, so better sure. I need pure cow manure, not mixing with soil. Again Thank you

10. Cheng

Cheng Member

Dear , I found this place is list 18211, and 18261 isn't listed, Are they the same, if not, I will drive there to find out, cause I want to buy something, is recommended by you. Thx a lot

11. Debby

Cheng,

You may need to spread the manure but let it compost over the winter and plant in the spring. It may be too fresh to use right away.

Be sure to ask if you are buying composted manure. If it is already composted (left for a year or two so that the microbes can work on it), you can use it now. Sawdust is good if it has been composted with the manure. If it has not been composted, it will take nitrogen away from the plants you put in, and the ammonia in the fresh manure will burn the plants. That is my understanding of how it works. Someone else may have better information or a better explanation.

12. Cheng

Cheng Member

Such a wonderful explanation, Debby. I am curious the different between Hay and Sawdust Cow manure, Is it one better then the other?

13. Debby

I should think that straw and sawdust have similar value; more or less "neutral" as far as "nutrition" is concerned. A scientist could answer the question.

14. Cheng

Cheng Member

Thank you very much for your help Debby, I wish I could be more knowledgable about cow manure, before ordering them home. Thx again

15. nicolette

nicolette New Member

My dad delivers mushroom manure. He's one of the only people we know who keeps it in a barn and makes sure it doesn't get weeds. He's pretty reasonably priced but comes from Abbotsford, so it'd cost a bit to UBC. 604 856 8877 to order.